It's here! Day 7: The last day of my Detox. I have revolutionised the way I use fruit and vegetables in my cooking and I feel so so healthy because of it. I'm bouncing, can you tell? I am going to keep many parts of this 'detox' going adding some of the main ideas to my everyday diet.
1. I will keep drinking lemon juice and water every morning before I eat. Juice from 1/2 a lemon mixed with water can do wonders. It helps reduce ingestion and stimulates digestion as well as boosts your immune system with powerful vitamin C. This blog has a great article on the benefits of adding lemon to your diet.
2. I will think of adding carbohydrates differently and try to avoid simple starches such as white rice and g/f pasta and replace them with quinoa, brown rice, and 'zucchini' pasta.
3. I will aim to detox more regularly. (The last one I tried to do was 4 years ago!)
Here is the carrot chop salad I made in my Thermomix.
Carrot Chop Salad
Juice of half an orange
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of cinnamon
Salt and pepper to season
1 long piece of orange peel (use a potato peeler on the skin of the orange)
350g carrots chopped into large pieces
3 spring onions, white part removed and chopped into large pieces
A handful of parsley
150g pistachio nuts
1 pomegranate, seeds removed (cut in half and then bang on the skin side with a wooden spoon to release the seeds)
1. To make the dressing add all the ingredients into a jar and combine. set aside.
2. Place the orange peel into the Thermomix and process speed 7 / 30 seconds.
3. Weigh in the carrot then add the spring onion and parsley. Chop 5 seconds / speed 5. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and repeat for 2 seconds.
4. Weigh in the pistachios and mix 10 seconds / speed 1.
4. Serve with pomegranate seeds and a good dash of dressing.